Corey Anderson will miss the tour of Australia due to a back injury
Allrounder Corey Anderson has been ruled out of New Zealand's Test series in Australia due to an ongoing back problem. Anderson has been replaced by the uncapped Mitchell Santner for the three-Test series, which begins in Brisbane early next month.
Anderson was sent home from the tour of England in June due to the stress-related back problem, and he missed the limited-overs tour of Africa that followed. He was named to make his return to the national side in the Australian series but was behind in his recovery schedule and will now continue his rehabilitation in New Zealand.
"Corey hasn't been able to recover as quickly as we hoped and we've chosen not to try to rush him back," the New Zealand selector Gavin Larsen said. "We've always said there were a number of checkpoints for him to meet before our departure date, and we're now in a position to confirm he's not ready. With that in mind, it's better for him to continue his rehabilitation at Lincoln."
Anderson's absence provides an opportunity for Santner, the left-hand batsman and left-arm spinner. Santner made his ODI and T20 international debuts in England this year and was initially picked for the tour of Africa that followed but had to withdraw due to a fractured thumb.
"Mitch clearly isn't a direct, like-for-like replacement for Corey - but in terms of the bigger picture he's an allrounder who can bat at No. 6 or 7 and he's also a front-line bowler," Larsen said. "It's a good opportunity for him. We believe his left-arm spin will add some variety to our options and his batting is well-suited to the conditions expected across the Tasman."
The first Test begins at the Gabba on November 5, followed by the second Test at the WACA starting on November 13. The tour finishes with the inaugural day-night Test using a pink ball at Adelaide Oval from November 27 to December 1.
The Basin Reserve's next international fixture will be the ODI against Pakistan, the first ODI at the ground since March 2005
A fire on one of the grass banks of the Basin Reserve ground in Wellington on Sunday was contained without any damage to the ground's property or stands.
The fire broke out on one of the banks shortly after 1.30pm, according to local media reports. The Dominion Post reported that firefighters put out the flames on the ground's outer fence by around 1.50pm, while 3 News reported that 100 square metres of shrubs and bushes had been scorched in the fire. The fire also caused traffic jams in the central part of the city, as firefighters closed traffic lanes to put out the blaze.
The Basin Reserve will host New Zealand's domestic matches in the T20, List A and first-class formats in the forthcoming season. The next international fixture at the ground is the ODI against Pakistan in January 2016, which will be the first one-day international at the ground since March 2005. It is also expected to host Brendon McCullum's 100th Test when Australia visit for a tour that includes the first properly contested Chappell-Hadlee one-day cup since 2010. The ground hosted a Test between New Zealand and Sri Lanka in January this year but was not allotted any matches during the 2015 World Cup.